Tuesday, February 22, 2011

And so it begins

Yesterday, I planted my first spring seeds in the vegetable garden. I planted peas and two varieties of sugar snaps. Even though we often don't get enough for more than one meal of each, there's something irresistible about peas fresh out of the garden. The birds and chipmunks think so, too, so I covered the plot with mesh. I hope that'll give the seeds a chance to sprout.

My garden experiment this year is potatoes. I've wanted to plant potatoes for the last few years, but I wasn't sure how to get started. We were in Lowe's this weekend and found a whole display of seed potatoes, so I took the plunge. I bought packages of Yukon Gold and Red Norland.  Each package had ten little potatoes in it. I followed the directions on the package, watered everything, and made sure they were under the mesh, too.

Next up:  spinach. I haven't had much luck with spinach lately. I've had very poor germination, even with fresh seed. This time, I'm going to try soaking the seeds ahead of time, like I do with peas and beans. We'll see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment