Sunday, May 15, 2011

Carolina Wrens

Carolina wrens are nesting in an aloe plant on my front porch. I spent a lot of time this weekend sitting on the porch watching them bring food to the babies. The babies are getting big--I can hear them chirping when the parents approach. I think they'll fledge soon. One of the parents hopped all around the porch this afternoon, with a big bug in its mouth, chirping at the nest, as if encouraging the babies to come on out for a snack.

In other backyard bird news, the chickadees have fledged. Chickadees took over the bluebird box this spring. By the time we realized they were there, there was a nest full of babies, so we just let them be. This morning, a male bluebird was calling and investigating the nest. I cleaned out the old nest bits; I hope the bluebirds decide to stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment