Saturday, June 4, 2011

Goodbye, Spring. Hello, Summer.

I harvested all of the potatoes yesterday. The grand total is just over 28 pounds! That's quite a yield from twenty little seed potatoes.

We picked the last of the peas today, too, and pulled up and composted the pea plants. The only thing left from the spring garden is lettuce, and it's having a hard time during the heat of the day. It may not last the weekend.

After I dug up the potatoes, I added a whole wheelbarrow load of gorgeous screened compost to that bed. Compost is magic. I use the three-bin system. By the time the third bin is done, it's really beautiful stuff to add to the garden soil.

In place of the potatoes, I planted cucumbers, basil, and dill. When I pulled up the garlic a few weeks ago, I planted zucchini and yellow squash. Add that to the peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes, and it's summer in the vegetable garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment